38 HOUR CLASS
THIS COURSE CONSISTS OF 30 CLASSROOM HOURS AND 8 HOURS BEHIND THE WHEEL.
The classroom portion is done in four eight-hour days from 8:00am - 4:00pm. The classroom consists of the Louisiana Drivers Manual/textbook, lecturing, videos, and guest speakers. All questions on the test come from the state-issued Class D and E drivers guide. The written test for the Office of Motor Vehicles is given on the last day of class. Students must pass this test with a minimum 80% score.
The eight hours of behind the wheel training are done in four, two-hour increments or two, four-hour increments. All students begin in a parking lot for assessment, then progress through a structured lesson plan.
CLASS SCHEDULE REGISTER
- Parent/Legal Guardian MUST attend the Parent Meeting before their child can take Drivers Education
- Must be 14 years and 9 months - 17 years of age
- Must have a TIP (Temporary Instructional Permits) from the Office of Motor Vehicles and bring to each class
*Appointment has to be made at DMW for TIP and license
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TIP (Temporary Instructional Permits):
- Student's Birth Certificate, with the state seal
- Student's social security card
- Parent/Guardian's ID
- Custody Documentation if any papers have been filled
A student's primary parent or legal guardian is required to attend this meeting before a student may attend a driver's education course. Primary Parent or Legal Guardian must sign all forms.
- Student's temporary Instruction Permit Card (TIP)
- Original Birth Certificate and/or Custody Documents (if any have been filled)
- Biological Parent or Legal Guardian's ID must match the Birth Certificate/Custody Papers
At the Parent Meeting, staff will explain the policy and procedures. They will also explain your role as the parent/guardian of a minor who is becoming a licensed driver. The time and date for the parent meeting will be sent via email and/or text prior to class.
DURING THE 8-HOUR BEHIND THE WHEEL TRAINING:
All fees must be paid in full before this portion of the course can be done.
- Instructors schedule drive times with the parent/guardian
- Instructors drive one student at a time
- The state allows 120 days for this portion of the course to be completed
- Students drive our vehicles that have passed state inspection. Cars are equipped with instructor mirrors and passenger breaks
- Driving instructors review things students learned in class behind the wheel
- Students will drive in rural, city, highway and interstate roadways
The course fee is $330.00 (Cash, Check or Money Order). A non-refundable $100 fee is required to reserve your spot.